Saturday, May 15, 2010

Our God is Greater

Yep... You caught me I'm sneaking one in on you on a Saturday Night. Couldn't quite help myself. It was quite the day today. I feel very accomplished by all that we were able to get done and also very blessed by something that happened this morning. While traveling to Tim Horton's for Dad's breakfast with his boys the most amazing thing happened. A Chris Tomlin song came on the radio and Will started singing to it in the back seat. Believe it or not that's not the amazing thing. Will is extremely gifted when it comes to music (Must get it from his Mams ;o), but the amazing part was that he heard the chorus a couple times and then sang it perfectly by himself after the song was over. Tell me that's not a God thing ... just incredible! It inspired me and for that reason I have to get this out tonight.

The words to the Chorus are:
Our God is greater, our God is stronger
God You are higher than any other
Our God is Healer, awesome and power
Our God, Our God…

As I reflect on these I almost can see a flashback, flash forward, and flash sideways of my life. And in every instance there is one constant... God ... specifically ... God's Love. The kind of Love described in 1 Corinthians 13. He truly is greater than any struggle we face, stronger than any demon, held above everything that is or will be, and his power can heal even the most broken. How can you not want to shout with all that is in you "Praise Be To God" when you hear of this good news!

Harness this energy and use it for good! God is good all the time! I want to close tonight with an exercise that I learned from a sermon when I was a child at Thoburn United Methodist Church by Rev. Bush. Its really simple. Read 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8 and wherever you see the word "love" or "it" replace it with "I". If you can live with God's love in your heart you will never ever fail! You sort of have to play with the language, but you will get the drift once you start reading it. Take out your Bible and look it up and here is the way you could say it if you let God's love be the driver in your life:

"I am patient, I am kind. I do not envy, I do not boast, I am not proud. I am not rude, not self seeking, not easily angered, I keep no record of wrongs. I do not delight in evil, but rejoice with the truth. I always protect, always trust, always hope, always persevere. I never fail.

Pretty cool isn't it? I've used this to help me regain focus many times and I hope it will help just one of you. I also hope you are enjoying your weekend as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Love in Christ,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment