Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Living at Peace

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Today I would classify as a microcosm of life. Ups, Downs, Anger, Sadness, Joy, and Laughter ... No tears, but felt like it from the pain during my run this morning and the story of a tragic loss of a young St.Clairsville Boy that I read in the Times Leader. The reason behind most of the other emotions are the individuals I've interacted with today and things that they have said or done. Guess I pretty much ran the gamut today, didn't I?

I'm never surprised at just how passionately I react to things I've read or others actions. Some probably love it about me and some probably detest it, but at the end of the day, its just who I am. Its the way God made me. My own personal challenge on days like today is not to judge the actions of a few and to not let them cloud my perspective or lessen my joy. Now time for a verse that has been recurring in my thoughts over the last month or two by different things I've witnessed and by experiences of those close to my heart...

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone" Romans 12:18, NIV

Now that's pretty heavy isn't it? That Paul sure had a way of challenging and convicting us didn't he? I cherish the words God put in his mouth and the wisdom that flows from them. As I said above I've looked at this one verse probably a hundred different times and what keeps hitting me is the message within that we as Christians need to do everything within our power and our being to be at peace with all of those in our lives. Further, it leaves the door open that others may just shut you out and not be a part of it. That's fine as long as we've done all we can. But, I challenge myself and all of you that when you think you've done it all ... take a step further and see if it does any good. After all, I've learned as many marathoners do that a marathon is not 26 miles ... its 26.2 and I will tell you the .2 is probably the hardest. So too is the final steps of reaching out to make peace with someone who you feel has wronged you in some way. You can't control others, but you do have the capacity to control yourself.

And, also leave open the possibility that now might not be the time. I have a least one person in my life that I had to cut loose back in December of 2007. Not because I didn't try, but because it wasn't the time to reconcile and it may not be for years because they simply weren't open to it. Someday, I will try to build that bridge again ... I haven't given up on our relationship, nor will I even if on the surface it appears so. I just have the discerning wisdom to know that God hasn't provided the opportunity yet and I need to be patient.

In closing, I would like you to think for a moment about those in your life that you are not at peace with and just what more you can do. Pray for them, pray for you, be patient, and let God do the heavy lifting!

Love in Christ,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment