Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Almost Heaven

Good Afternoon All!

Well I'm heading to Snowshoe WV this weekend for some golf with the guys and started thinking about the saying "Almost Heaven, West Virginia". Well, I've traveled many places in this world and I would guess that West Virginia fits just as well as any other in my mind. The reason is because I don't think Heaven for me is as much about a place, but rather about experiences that God places in our lives.

When I was going through Men's Renewal at our Church a couple of years ago some of the men talked about Mountain Top Experiences and how they equated those to heaven. I guess I've had several of those. Here are just a few: sitting on the front porch with Grandpa Hank, coming home growing up to a warm cup of Mam's homemade vegetable soup on a bitter day, fishing on the Ohio River with my Dad, the moment I knew Michelle was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, the birth of both of our boys, and watching Henry do what is unexpected of a child with Cerebral Palsy over and over again. These are just some of the big ones for me and the larger glimpses at Heaven. Others are as simple as a smile from a stranger walking down the street, the laughter of a child, a hug from a friend, watching a baby sleep, or looking at someone you love and being able to communicate what you are feeling without saying a word.

God has such an incredible way of giving us those snapshots if we are open enough to consider them for the value that they bring. All too often I think we are lost in the craziness of life and fail to recognize these simple gifts. Today for just a moment I encourage you to look back on your life and remember all those life moments God has given you that would be called "Almost Heaven". And, what's even better is those can't even compare to the reality that it will be!

But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself. ~ Philippians 3:20-21

Get ready to be called home some day by recognizing the preview God is giving you and enjoy every breath your have while you are here.

Love in Christ,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment