Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Angels Among Us

Good Morning Everyone... Happy Ash Wednesday!

Hebrews 13:1-3 "Keep on loving each other as brothers. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. Remember those in prison as if you were fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering."

Pretty good verse to start Lent in my opinion, but there is much more behind it. This morning as Scott and I were leaving each other we had a brief interchange on people being placed in our lives at the absolute perfect moment. I would venture to say that these people, although worldly in every sense, fulfill a much greater purpose. They knowingly or unknowingly allow themselves to carry out God's message to those that need it most. They are his Angels. How many of you have seen this happen? I would be very surprised if it hasn't happened to everyone in some way.

Looking at the passage above I think its not only good for us to be vehicles for God's love, its our responsibility. Many of us know prisoners, not in the literal sense, but in figurative sense. The question is how many people do you know that are in prison to something? Can you help them? Can you share their burden? And, what about the mistreated? When was the last time you took a stand? Tough questions I know, but as we enter our time of fasting and prayer they are all great questions to ponder.

I routinely see these "Angels" that are among us. They have lifted me up when I was at rock bottom and have encouraged those I Love. I think it is awesome to see the face of God in family, friends, and total strangers. Some fires cannot be quenched and some smiles warm the heart beyond understanding.

What am I giving up for Lent? Excess food that robs me of hunger and the remembrance that we do not subsist on food alone... rather we need Spiritual Food. I'm also focusing on a deeper relationship with God and a firm commitment to uphold my promise to him.

May God be with you and lift you up and deliver those Angels to you when you need them most. And, may he prepare you to enter Lent with Thanksgiving for all of the blessings you have.

Love In Christ,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment