Monday, April 18, 2011

Would you Deny Him?

Welcome to Holy Week. As our Pastor said yesterday its one of the most powerful weeks of the year. I want to start tonight with the passage of Peter Denying he knew Jesus:
Luke 22: 54- 62
54 Then seizing him, they led him away and took him into the house of the high priest. Peter followed at a distance. 55 And when some there had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and had sat down together, Peter sat down with them. 56 A servant girl saw him seated there in the firelight. She looked closely at him and said, “This man was with him.”

57 But he denied it. “Woman, I don’t know him,” he said.

58 A little later someone else saw him and said, “You also are one of them.”

“Man, I am not!” Peter replied.

59 About an hour later another asserted, “Certainly this fellow was with him, for he is a Galilean.”

60 Peter replied, “Man, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. 61 The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: “Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times.” 62 And he went outside and wept bitterly.

What does this passage say to you? How many of us are Peter hourly, daily, weekly? How many of us never truly get away from the fear of being called a Jesus Freak, Holy Roller, or Bible Thumper. How many of us let ourselves and those around us down because we are too afraid to be what God calls us to be? When was the last time you denied Christ?

I can tell you that I've done it recently not by my action, but by my inaction. A month ago I fell into a trance where I was afraid to do anything wrong, afraid to hurt or offend anyone, afraid to live. Thanks be to God that one of my dearest Sisters in Christ for pulling me out of my slumber by telling me I was better than the man she was seeing. I was more to everyone and quite frankly "I needed to get back in the game" I needed in part to stop denying Jesus and to live as God intended.

I have a pray for all of us this Holy Week. I pray that given the opportunity, we will be bold for Christ, we won't hide the fact we are attending 1, 2, 3 or more services this week, we won't be scared to ask someone to join us at Church. I pray that all of us will somehow learn from Peter, who was by far more faithful than any of us could probably ever imagine ourselves being and know that we too Deny Jesus. We too cry Crucify Him... Not by what we have done, but by what we leave undone.

Be bold my Brothers and Sisters. Wear your Cross this week! Show the world you are Children of God!
Love in Christ,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment