Monday, November 15, 2010

The Law and Agape Love

Good Evening!

Yes its Saturday and I'm typing. I'm typing for many reasons, but I think the primary one is for my benefit and a couple of my Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ. I share this message with you tonight because I feel the need to discuss two very important concepts in our Faith Walk. The first of which is we are broken. Did you hear that? I called all of us broken. Don't believe me? When was the last time you read Matthew 5? Do you remember Jesus discussing the Law of the Prophets and basically laying out what is expected of us? He tells us that if we set aside even one of the least of the commands that we will be called least in Heaven. He then goes on to discuss Murder, Adultery, Divorce, Oaths, Eye for an Eye, and Loving your Enemies. Now for corporate confession. As corporate as it can be for me in this email. Aside from murder if you read the literal interpretation of the text above I have in one way or another somehow violated everyone of the commands. I have fallen just as far as you can, but have also found that you can bounce.

There is a very key point that Christ makes in the introduction to the Sermon on the Mount. It is something that I've read over and over and have only recently been able to put together. Matthew 5:18 "For I tell you, until Heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen will by any means disappear from the law until everything is accomplished." Now I don't pretend to big the greatest Biblical scholar, but I can tell you that it was "Accomplished" on the Cross. Are you following me? What I'm saying is the there is this wonderful thing called Grace. You can take a deep sigh of relief because Jesus knew we were broken and he saved us. He knew before we were born that we would violate many of those commands above. He also knew that if we truly repent we are washed clean. What am I telling you then? Well I'm not telling you to live with total disregard for The Sermon on the Mount... quite the contrary. I am telling you that you will fail and Christ has you covered WHEN you do. I just encourage all of you to keep Christ-like love in your heart and don't allow guilt to burden you. It can be one of Satan's greatest weapons. Someday we will experience Agape "perfect" love all the time with everyone in Heaven. Until then we can do our best to try to bring His Kingdom to earth.

Let me close with Matthew 6:10 "your Kingdom come your will be done on earth as it is in Heaven". Have you shown Christ-like "Agape" love to anyone lately. Did it feel kind of awkward or did it feel like the most natural thing you've ever done. I hope its the latter... it certainly has been for me. Its a blessing enough just to see them smile. And, more reward than this humble sinner ever deserves.

Hope you are all have a very Blessed weekend and I hope you are discovering and not passing up those opportunities to lift another Brother or Sister in Christ up from trial.

Love to you all,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment