Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Joy

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Today I want to talk about Joy. Webster defines "Joy" as the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires : delight.
When was the last time you felt joy? Is it the same to you as happiness or is it different? Does it really matter?

I bring it up because all too often we are focused on the finish line rather than en"joy"ing the race. I think most of us set the bar extremely high for how we are going to feel if something great happens rather than focusing on the success we achieve along the way. We lose joy through expectation. We degrade happiness through the desire to "have it all". When really there is no such thing. "Having it all" is as fickle as a leaf blowing in the wind. Our lives change, our expectations change, our desires change and we tend to focus on false finish lines to be the source of our joy and happiness. Lately one of my false finish lines is being a perfect Husband and Father. I think I do a good job most times at both, but I don't meet my expectations. I don't come close. I have been praying constantly that God will allow me to enjoy the race and see joy and happiness through the little things.

One such example happened to me on Sunday. I was blessed with not only seeing Will run the length of the field to score a touchdown to help his team win their Flag Football Bowl Game, but I was also there as one of his Coaches running behind him down the field and being the first to slap him a high five... It truly doesn't get much better! The Joy could have been temporary, but is something that sticks in my mind and makes me smile even as I type this. The past couple days God has allowed me to see through the craziness to focus on that one perfect moment and allow it to carry me.

What's your recent perfect moment? Are you using this blessing to carry you as God intended or have you already tucked it away, planning for your next victory in the race to "have it all"? Pause and reflect, pray, and ask God to reveal His blessings to you and maybe a little part of His plan. We don't have to understand it all or "have it all" ... we just have to keep running ;o)

Isaiah 26:3
You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you


Have a great day everyone! Fall certainly has arrived!
Love in Christ,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment