Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Archive Post on Weariness

Good Morning Everyone,

Has anyone had one of those mornings where it seems merely impossible to drag yourself out of bed for the normal activity of the day let alone planning on extra effort (working out at the gym, chasing around 1, 2, 3 or more children or worse comforting a sick child, maybe giving a presentation at work, dealing with difficult people, or fighting through an illness or recovery)?....sure you have! I confess I had one of those mornings this morning. You see I spent much of yesterday trying to comfort a child who had a fever and didn't seem to weather it well while my lovely wife toiled away with the craziness of the pharmacy only to be awakened mid-way through the early morning hours with his brother falling as he tried to get into our bed after being scared by something. Its almost comical as I look back on it, but certainly was not at 5:15 when the alarm screamed out in the darkness. I prayed that if God would just give me the strength to make it to the bathroom, I would somehow drag myself to the gym to run my early morning miles. God delivered and so I went about my normal day, a little energy deprived at the moment, but better for it in some way I think.

You may think that it seems like a typical day to hit the gym before work and get some exercise in, but for me its much more than that...it's my survival plan. I'm going to step back and add some perspective. Those of you that know me well know that early in 1998 I topped the scales at 273 pounds. I was extremely overweight, had debilitating back pain, and generally felt terrible. That's when God blessed me with running. I didn't run miles upon miles at first because frankly I couldn't, but I worked my way into it and managed to finish a couple marathons along the way to losing over 50 pounds. I would like to say that its all a happy ending and it stopped there, but it didn't. The joy of a low metabolism (even on synthroid) also means the joy of working out all the time to remain somewhat healthy. So the part above about dragging myself out of bed has much more significance than it would seem.

I know the plan God has placed forth for me at least in that part of my life and I will follow it regardless of the outside circumstances. In many ways we all face these outside distractions and demons that prevent us from facing the day with a positive face. I often hear it as that voice that tells me I can't do something. That same voice told me I'd never be able to complete a marathon... hmmm, guess it was wrong. I pray that each and everyone of you recognizes something God has blessed you with to overcome even the smallest hurdle in this life. So many of these gifts go unnoticed until we look at them retrospectively. Since this email somehow moved towards my running life I want to share with you a Bible verse that I think speaks volumes on endurance when we are weary. I know everyone is expecting Isaiah 40:31, but I'm going to shake it up for you... try this:

"We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3 (NIV)

I've found there is much to be learned in Paul's letters and really enjoy them. I hope everyone is having a great day and has found that little inspiration to face the challenges life has thrown your way! Run the good race my friends!

Love In Christ,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment