Monday, July 12, 2010

Beauty

Good Morning Everyone!

What a beautiful July rain soaked morning it is! The run in the rain was absolutely refreshing! As you know or have figured out from last week's emails we had a crazy week in the Ruckman household. Challenging might be an understatement, but I can't think of a much better word to use. The good news is that it brought us closer together as a family and strengthened our resolve. Its amazing how God can do his work in the hardest of times. The goodness kind of hit a pinnacle for me last night at bedtime when Will decided he wanted to sing his bedtime song instead of having me sing it to him. Usually his bedtime routine entails me reading him a book, helping him through his prayers (he usually says the Lord's prayer on his own and doesn't want Dad's help), and then I usually sing him a song which is often a contemporary Christian song. Lately he has wanted me to sing "Our God is Greater" by Chris Tomlin. Last night he wanted to do it himself and he did... he hit the entire song perfectly on pitch and it flowed as if I was listening to it on the radio. Needless to say this Dad was a little choked up with joy and found strength of the spirit through a 5 year old. Raising children is certainly the hardest thing I've ever done, but moments like last night make it all worth it! There is a simple beauty in their souls that I think as adults we tend to guard and keep away from the world. Thanks be to God for allowing me to see it!

Last week, during what I will call a battle, my prayer partner Scott shared Psalm 33 with me. I found a verse that kind of carried me and really describes the way I felt last night...
Psalm 33:21
In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.

The rough stretch last week was about trust and faith and I found that if you want to truly rejoice, God has to be present. If you want to truly get through pain, God has to be present as well. Without God we just muddle through. Don't fall into that trap if you can avoid it. Allow true peace to enter your lives this week. Allow the Risen King to refresh you, renew you, and let you experience joy. And, may you have that moment of beauty like I did last night. The kind that resets the playing field... Praise be to God!

Love in Christ,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment