Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Talk to God Lately?

As with many of my posts I really don't know where I'm going with this so I hope you will humor me. I guess what I'm really pondering as I type is the interpersonal relationship each of us has with God. It may seem strange to some, but God and I have many chats each day. Yes, they do seem truly one sided most of the time and most of them are filled with my wants, requests, pleads, or echoes of displeasure, but nonetheless they are chats. I say this because God has a non-verbal way of communicating that is so much more powerful than our feeble human efforts at communication. What do I mean? Have you ever seen the sun shining off the snow of a mountain sunrise? Have you ever felt the peace of walking along an abandoned beach before daybreak? Or, have you ever looked into a child's eyes and witnessed the excitement from your own youth when talking about a Holiday (Halloween, Christmas, Birthdays, etc.). Well then you have heard God ... you just might not have been looking for it.

You see after the crazy week that we experienced last week I was really in need of one of those "God" filled weekends and just like every other time I've really needed it... he delivered. With the exception of a minor bump here and there this weekend was FULL of those moments above. I think I have a new definition of excitement after watching Will when he saw the carp (algae eaters) in one of the local ponds and thought we could catch them and another perspective on brotherhood watching how excited both Will and Henry get by chasing each other around our house. And finally a new appreciation for the warmth of giving after watching an elderly man's smile as he gave the boys Frosty Gift Certificates when we were eating dinner last night. (He stopped by our table and said that he and his wife live in the country and don't get many trick or treaters and he thought the boys were very well behaved and would like them as a treat). Laughter and excitement replaced a week of craziness and pain... and through it all... God is Good... All the time! I guess I lost a little sight of that and just needed another reminder ... Where are you with God? Has he reminded you of his goodness lately? I hope so and I hope that you are looking for it and recognize it when it happens.

I want to close with two different versions of a Psalm verse that I really enjoyed and think you might to:

(The Message) Psalm 27: 13-14 I'm sure now I'll see God's goodness in the exuberant earth.
Stay with God! Take heart. Don't quit. I'll say it again: Stay with God.

(NIV) Psalm 13-14 I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

Have a great week everyone! I'm off to the Hocking Hills tomorrow to enjoy some good times with great friends... I may have another message when I get back on parenting and life on vacation ;o)

Love in Christ,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment