Thursday, October 13, 2011

Planting Seeds

Good Evening Everyone! Hope everyone's week is starting off well and that you are energized by the arrival of fall, the smell of bonfires, the beautiful color about to burst in the trees, the brisk air, and the sites of pumpkin patches littering the landscape. It is such a wonderful time of year reminding us of God is faithful and the harvest is about to be taken in. Today as I was driving around I reflected on farmers and how much faith they must have to year in and year out plant their fields and depend on God to provide. As I was thinking about that I also started thinking about the parallel that can be drawn with all of our lives. We plant seeds all the time in hopes of producing a bumper crop of financial security, family stability, and prosperity in every aspect of our daily lives. As I thought of this the first parable that came to mind was the parable of the sower. Although I truly love that parable the one that came out stronger was one focused on faith. Specifically, the following verse from Matthew: Matthew 17:20 "He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." How many seeds have you planted? How many times have you doubted God? How little faith have you had in Jesus? Tough questions I know. These were the questions that were swirling in my head when I realized I don't have a fraction of the faith a farmer would have when it comes to my life. "I" would rather try to handle things instead of trusting in God. "I" would rather set the time table rather than listening to him when he says "not now". "I" would rather feel like I have control over my life instead of trying submitting to a compassionate and caring Lord that guides me in the paths of righteousness. All that being said "I" will not give up on my walk and my desire to truly give it all to him. As you can tell I obviously need some work, but at least I'm trying. What about you? Where are you on your faith walk? Where are you truly at on your faith walk? I observe many of you and can tell you I'm in awe of the outward faith you demonstrate. You inspire me by your works and your dedication. You build me up with your words and actions. I could specifically mention each of you and the impact you've had, but rather I will ask you to reflect on the area of your faith that is most strong and how you will expand upon it. There are certain evangelists that focus on all of the goodness of God without focusing on the God of Perseverance, Character, and Hope. I know each of you has tough times you deal with. I know each of you have your own moments of darkness. But, I also know that each of you have it within you to do what is impossible in your eyes if you only have the faith that Jesus spoke of in the verse above. Instead of listening to what the world says will happen or must happen submit yourself to God and watch him show you his love and faithfulness. You might be surprised by what he has in store for you. And, by all means get out there and enjoy the harvest! Love, Peace, and FAITH be yours through Our Risen Savior, Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment